Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Memories

One of my most vivid memories is when I was about five years old. We lived out in the country. After my mother would tuck me in bed for the night I would insist that she closed my bedroom door “tight” as she left. My mother would seem uncomfortable with my request and say that she would leave it open just a bit, but I would convince her to close it all the way. Why?

My bed was next to the window and I loved laying there looking up at the stars. Being out in the country the stars were spectacular. You could see so many stars and they were so vivid I felt as if I could reach out and touch some of them. I would lie there and connect the stars and draw imaginary pictures and contemplate life. Yes, that’s right, at five years old, wondering what was out there in that vastness with all the twinkling stars. I’d question why I was alive, why was I here on earth? Would my mother always be here with me? What would I do if she died? Fast forward forty or so years and I’m still searching for answers.

It is with this life long journey that I have read many, many spiritual books that have changed the course of my life. I hope sharing some of those insights will encourage you to revisit books you may have been interested in reading, but just haven’t found the time. Maybe these book reviews will encourage you to find the time to read that one book, that caught your eye, and you purchased... but never read.
__________________________________________
Photo courtesy of Lynne Lancaster
www.sxc.hu/photo/917258

No comments:

Post a Comment